Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Nerd.

I wanted to be an author or a librarian when I grew up.  Then, I decided I wanted to own a book store.  Then I wanted to be a marine biologist and from there I wanted to run a zoo.  Now I have no idea what I want to do when I grow up.  The one thing I do know is that I LOVE to read. **Have you ever seen Girls Just Want to Have Fun?  There's this part where Sarah Jessica Parker says, "And, I LOVE to dance".  I'm that passionate - - but about books, not dancing**

I'm not a "nerdy nerd" in the brilliant-sense of the word.  I'm more of a nerd in the fact that I get concerned about being bored and always have to have a book with me.  I used to even bring a book in my overnight bag for sleepovers.  You know . . in case the girls were boring or something.  I learned early on to ALWAYS have a book with me if mom or dad made me run errands with them.  Ugh!  I could be stuck in the car for minutes - literally minutes!

I'm not sure if this will be a monthly segment or not but I'd like to give a quick book review of some recent books I have read and whether I would recommend them or not.

Fall of Giants (Ken Follett):  This is the first book in a century trilogy series he is writing.  The other book I have read by Ken Follet is Pillars of the Earth, which I LOVED **warning: note that "Pillars" was a rather "scandalous" book at times**.  Fall of Giants begins in 1914 with events leading up to World War I. This book has so much to offer:  political struggles, the British feminist movement, labor strikes, the Russian Revolution, royalty, peasants, etc.  It is deliciously long and interesting - - but then again, I am a lover of historical fiction.  *Highly recommend*

Girl Who Played with Fire (Stieg Larsson):  Second book in the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series.  LOVED it.  I think it was even better than the first book.  Lisbeth Salander is such a great character with her perfect memory, punk personality, etc.  This book deals with a murder investigation and prostitution/underworld rings. The entire series is intense and definitely not for the faint of heart.  It is also quite "explicit" at times. *Recommended, but with a warning that it is disturbing*

Hunger Games Trilogy (Suzanne Collins):  AWESOME.  MUST READ ALL 3!!!  This series takes place in a post-apocalyptic future of North America being divided into 12 districts with the  "Capital" as the evil dictator. Once a year the Capital hosts the "Hunger Games" and 2 teenagers from every district are chosen at random to fight to the death.  I was unable to put these books down once I started reading.  **blasted Kindle makes it too easy to just purchase the next book once you finish the first!**  Once again . . very intense and addicting. *Highly Highly Recommend*

East of Eden (John Steinbeck):  I have not recently read this book but thought that my 3 recent "reads" all seem to be rather similar in the "intensity category".  The story takes place in California's Salinas Valley, from the American Civil War all the way to the end of World War I.  I loved how 2 of the main characters were twin brothers (supposed to be similar to Cain and Abel) and how being good came easily to one brother and not the other.  AND this book is also deliciously long.  I was depressed when it was over and have since read it twice.  East of Eden is my ALL TIME FAVORITE book even though most reviewers do not give it too high of marks.  Who will you believe? *Highly Highly Highly recommend*

Books Currently on my Nightstand:

Heaven is for Real (Todd Burpo)
Crazy Love (Francis Chan)
Same Kind of Different as Me (Ron Hall and Denver Moore)
Transfer of Power (Vince Flynn) - first one of his Mitch Rapp books

** To be continued **

No comments:

Post a Comment