Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Adrenaline-Junkie Nephew.

Prior to our knitting lesson, Boyd had taken G to learn how to snowboard.  G is my 6 yr. nephew - the son of Sister1.  I'm not entirely sure at what age you should teach this skill but I tried at 25 yrs of age and it didn't happen.  Boyd has finally come to terms with the whole "klutzy-stubborn-I-give-up-if-it-doesn't-work-right-away-trait".  ** Back in the day when we were dating, he tried to teach me how to ski.  It was the first time that I completely spazzed out on him.  He's still scarred from this and yet stupidly still asked me to marry him.  Sucker.***

I called Boyd after they had been there for 3 hours.  He sounded pretty defeated - said they hadn't had much success yet but were going to head to the chalet and "fuel up" so they could go "smash this mountain."  I then received this text shortly after:

"G fell of the bench while eating his burger, not exactly what we're looking for. But he is pretty sure he's ready for the half pipe."

Boyd called again about an hour later.  He sounded positively giddy.  He had finally allowed G off the bunny hill and they were having SUCCESS.  Supposedly G kept assuring Boyd that he just needed to go straight down and find a few jumps (he really is his father's son) **Side note: G's dad (Ry) passed away in August 2010.  It has been a very sad loss for Sister1 and the boys and all the involved families. Ry was a dare devil to the very core and we all miss him very much.***  Boyd wisely (shockingly) said no - G could get off the bunny hill once he learned how to slow down and fall safely.  The little bugger did it and off they went to a bigger hill where G "shredded it up". **I have no idea if I am using correct snowboarding terminology** 

When they got back to the hotel, G was BEAMING.  He was so excited.  I found him the next day with Boyd's phone looking over the videos that Boyd had taken of the night. He had the cutest little grin on his face watching himself fly down the hill.  What an awesome kid.  I'm a lucky aunt.
The mighty mountain warriors


 

No comments:

Post a Comment