Friday, March 4, 2011

Nerd2.

I have no idea if people actually follow along with recent book reads/reviews.  But since reading is my favorite past time, I shall post away on my books.  I'm by far the coolest person I know.

I feel like I haven't read too many books since my last "Nerd" post but maybe its just because there were too many 'emotional' selections this month which makes the reading slower.

Transfer of Power, Vince Flynn:  This one was NOT emotional, which was a relief.  It is the first book of the Mitch Rapp series.  Its action packed but not too cheesy . . . although some cheese is to be expected for "hero books" and cheese you will find.   But oh my - - secret service, CIA, secret agents, dumb political people, the evil brilliant terrorist and the oh-so-capable and strong Mitch Rapp is all wrapped up in this book.  I bought my dad the first 3 books of this series.  I knew he would like them and I also knew he would share.  I'm such a giver. 

Same Kind of Difference as Me, Ron Hall and Denver Moore:  This is a true story written from two different perspectives.  I kept hearing about how great it was but to be honest, I just couldn't quite get into it.  And then when I did persevere and keep reading, it got really emotional for me. **Spoiler Alert:  Debbie dies of cancer.**  So then, I started to get angry again about how bad things happen to good people and I completely felt Ron's pain of "God has seen a lot of bad press, so it would be the perfect time for a miracle and that they would give him all the glory and shout it from the roof tops that it was a miracle".  I had to pace myself with this book . . I'd read it a little bit and then put it down and move to the next book.

Heaven is for Real, Todd Burpo:  The author's son supposedly has 3 minutes in Heaven.  I didn't want to like this book because everyone likes this book.  **I try and be as difficult as possible**.  However, once I got past the "stupid doctor" part and into the section of Coulton (the 4 yr old) recounting things he saw in Heaven, it was rather uplifting.   The book is nice and short and could be read in a day.

Crazy Love, Francis Chan:  Once again, this book is too popular but I read it all the same.  Its good.  Its challenging.  It is well written.  I promptly absorbed the information and then put it in the dark recesses of my brain so I do not actually have to "take action" with the soul challenges of this book.  I did love the chapter where he lists different heros of the faith.  I love having concrete ideas and paths that people took to live out what they believe.

Blind Your Ponies, Stanley Gordon West:  I adore Mr. West.  He is a local author and he wrote one of my all time favorite books: Until They Bring the Streetcars Back.  Blind Your Ponies is about a small town in Montana and their loser basketball team.  It details the year they start winning and get into the state tournament with only 6 players on their team.  The phrasing and details of small town basketball was heart warming and familiar.  This book was hefty. It lasted awhile, which I love.  I was going to just down a quote or two from it, but forgot and now I don't feel like it.  Read it - - especially if you like basketball and grew up in a small town.

ON MY NIGHTSTAND (or in my Kindle):

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest: Stieg Larsson (*The last book in this trilogy*)

Separation of Power:  Vince Flynn (*The 2nd Mitch Rapp book*)

Mr. Impossible: Loretta Chase (*February's book club choice - I'm really behind.*)

Into Thin Air: Jon Krakauer (*March's book club choice*)

The Shack:  William P. Young (*I've already read this but want to read it again*)

Thus ends this Section of Nerd2.

No comments:

Post a Comment