Sunday, February 27, 2011

Are They Ever Going To Leave?!

Its been weird having one foot in SD and one foot in MN.  On the one hand, I haven't had to say any hard and final good byes, which I like . . .mostly because I hate being emotional.  I've never learned the art of crying gracefully, so I don't.  At least not in front of people, if I can help it.  **Awhile back, we had to get blood drawn for our life insurance policies that we were taking out on each other.  As the nurse puts the needle in my vein and blood starts to flow, Boyd states:  "Wow, you're not completely made of ice after all."**  Nice.  No.  No, I'm not. 

The first official week in SD went pretty well . . . despite the children being sick, despite the blizzard and despite having to learn a new job (for me).   A few things I found interesting:  When first finding my way to the new office I will be working at, I realize I turn right at the sign that says:  "Deer Hides for Sale".  It's written in red paint - kind of creepy. 

Important business:  Fellow Watertownians:  Does anyone else wonder why Senior Max's flashing sign gives their food possessive powers?  Chimi's, Taco's, Burrito's.  Are the tacos owning something?  I don't get it.  If someone can please change the sign, I would be most appreciative.  Thank you.

We made our way back to Stillwater Thursday night.  We TRY and stay diligent on working while we are here but its hard.  As familiar as we are with SD, since we visit often and both grew up there . .. MN had become our home.  Its comfy.  I know where I'm supposed to be while I am here.  Our friend, Darren, came over Friday night and we checked out a local Japanese Steakhouse. mmmm . . delicious.  Ladies . . . Darren is single.  He's hilarious and helpful.  One of my all-time favorite people.  Please send me an email if interested. :)  A quote I overheard from Boyd while he and Darren were in the middle of an intense fooseball game: "They call me the Queen down at the Club".  I immediately started laughing my head off.  Boyd claims he said "McQueen" in reference to his lightning speed and reflexes. . . regardless . . . you don't use the word QUEEN anywhere in a sentence to describe yourself if you are a man.  **Men, please make a mental note**

Last night, we went to Smalley's (Caribbean BBQ) with Ben (long time MN friend) and his girlfriend, Becca.  Boyd and I arrived early to get a table. Unfortunately, within 5 minutes of us being seated, the 8 adults at a nearby table raised their glasses with a loud pirate "ARGH!" - - because after all, it is a "caribbean" BBQ.   Initially, I had assumed since the table was mixed with men and women, we would be okay. Sidenote: I ALWAYS avoid being seated next to large groups of women.  You cannot trust all-women tables.  The shrill . . my goodness the shrill.  I'm basically leary of any "only women" events.  **However, Sister1 went to Cabo with only girls.  This rule does not apply with small numbers of women traveling to tropical paradises.**  I'm sidetracked again.  My apologies. 

I love having a social calendar on our weekends back.

Stillwater house progress:  The stairways are nearly finished.  I am supposed to be applying poly to the rebar and posts.  I get all the smelly jobs.  Boyd is finishing the railing upstairs this weekend.  We are using up the last of our savings to hire some work done.  I'm hoping our savings lasts like the five loaves and 2 fish in the Bible.  Or is it 5 fish and 2 loaves . . .  you get the idea.  Regardless, the main flooring should start being laid while we are in SD this coming week.  Yes!  If any Minnesota people are reading this and are interested in renting or buying - - please shoot me an email (slknudsen7@yahoo.com)

The exterior complete - except for porch.
Have I mentioned that I love this house?  We went with an industrial marries wood concept.  I just came up with that. Impressed?   

Boyd and Mr. Hobbs finishing the upstairs railing

Boyd and I are still arguing about who came up with the rebar idea.

Pantry Door - re-used an old door we found

Main floor.  The wood flooring will be in soon.

One of the bedrooms.  We love lofted ceilings.

I love this bathroom.  You can't see it but there are 2 sink stations.
And that is the tour.  Its tough taking pictures because there is always something not done in a room.  But its getting closer.  Have I mentioned there is a darling park right across the street?

I just heard a thump followed by a: "Son of a _____".  I should check on Boyd.

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog too, Sabrina. I really enjoyed one of the first where you wrote about yourself. I love your Stillwater house. I want to buy it. Please send me the price so I can quit dreaming about it. Thank you!
    p.s. I'm not ready for you to be gone to SD for good!...I'm not good with letting go of the friends I've grown to love, and when I have to let go, I cry cry cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The town has a vast supply of poor grammar. Look at bank signs, bulletins, and yes, restaurants and menus. I dare you to keep track. You will love it.

    The house looks amazing, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Darren wants to know if the "chicken gizzards" sign is up yet at the Zesto?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you never leave! Always keep some part of you in Minnesota. A foot, a toe, a lock of hair (creepy?).
    See you Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete