Monday, April 25, 2011

Amazing Race 2011

As promised . . . an update from this weekend:

The dueling pianos were at the Bullpen in Lake Norden Friday night.  We went with Sister1 and Donna and Damian (Donna is my new business partner - - remember?  Remember?  Shop Opening up on May 21?!) for dinner.  I also had some of my high school friends show up which was an added bonus.   The Piano Duelers were not the most talented that I have heard but nonetheless, I was thoroughly entertained and thought it was a great time.  And since, I may never get around to actually doing a segment of "small town restaurant reviews" - - here is my short review of the Bullpen:   I like it.  Thumbs up.  The food was great.  The waiter was fun and attentive.  He even called me "killer".  Boyd is still convinced he was referring to the steak but I think we all know it was directed at me with a wink.  ;)

I have no idea what was so funny.  Is it Boyd?  Or is it my large forehead vein?  
Now on to the Amazing Race.

It was a great time.  The weather was great, the company was fun and the competition was intense.

There was knockout, hula hooping, leap frog, sprints, sharpshooting, etc. There was laughter, bantering and even vomiting.  (the vomiting was not because of the food, or the flu  . . . . it was strictly too much heart going into an event)  I am going to let the pictures do most of the talking.

Leapfrog race.

Another view of the Leapfrog

AND more leapfrog
The Sprint.  Mandy and Ryan Dede are obviously not competitive.

Timed Section of putting together the bolts and washers.  I THOUGHT I was rocking this event until we counted at the end and I scored 5th out of 6 teams.

The adult knock-out game.  Kate gave it her all.  I think she got 3rd.

Shannon got 2nd place.  She lamented - "I can't believe I lost to Boyd!"

The beanbag toss.  We make even the 5 yr. old girls  feel the pressure.
Boyd and Graham were able to perfect their wheelbarrow race from last year.   Here is how this one works:  a small child gets into the wheelbarrow and the chosen adult operates the wheelbarrow out to a pile of junk (and yes, we have piles up junk . . it comes in handy during these types of circumstances) where the child jumps out of the wheelbarrow (or is dumped out) and he or she runs up to the top of the pile and grabs a brick that has their team number taped onto it.  They then race back to the start line.  This is actually more difficult than it sounds and has considerable strategy worked into it.  Boyd and G won.  They were incredibly proud.

 Colleen and Brooklyn

Chad was on my team.  We nominated him for this event. Its by far the most grueling.

Boyd and G took this race very seriously. 

This picture makes me smile.  

The first place winners of the wheelbarrow race.

hula hoop competition.

Dustin was on my team.  We did not score any points on this event.

Paintball sharpshooting

Wesley teaching Brooklyn how to aim.  Boyd's probably whispering "miss it!" 

G's turn.  Chad, Dad AND Boyd are helping out.   It looks like G's got it figured out.

The football toss.  

The birthday cakes.  Sister1 takes great pride in her cake.  

O doesn't look too thrilled to be the center of attention.

Oh my . . . I think he is embarrassed.  I make the same expression when I'm feeling shy.

Did he just fall asleep?

G was more than happy to be sung to and promptly blew out his candles.
All-in-all it was a great weekend.  Ry was missed as always.  He would have thought it was great and been the boys' biggest fan.

Easter Sunday was finally somewhat warm.  Boyd couldn't take it any longer and got the motorcycle out.

This week, I will be busy getting shoppe stuff ready for the Expo (Saturday).  I just got an adorable shipment of handmade items from my friend Kelly in Mpls.  It made me even more excited for the Grand Opening.  Now, if only Boyd could finish the floor so we can paint it and then start arranging.  Employment can be such a pain.  :)

Until next time . . . .

1 comment:

  1. So you post the picture of me in the one event I got less than 3rd in? As GOB would say "COME ON!" And I was forced into the hula hoop because no one else wanted to do it...unbelievable!

    Sincerely,
    Frustrated

    ReplyDelete